Friday, June 22, 2012
Every time I look for a granola bar recipe, I get frustrated. I have lots of ingredients to make granola bars, but none of the recipes I find have those things in them, or they have a couple of items that I don't have on hand. So I totally guessed. I used what I had, threw it together with no rhyme or reason, and they turned out! How about that? I used many of the recipes as inspiration of what to put in, but the measurements were completely random. I know this isn't a recipe, but this is how I did it, and these are the kind of "recipes" I like to follow. Use what you got!
crushed Chex cereal
cinnamon with sugar
chopped fair trade chocolate
LOTS of honey
Oven at 350
I started out with my main ingredients, oats, coconut, raisins, with my baking dish next to me as a volume guideline. I then added the other dry ingredients based on what looked like enough/ used probably 1/4 each of nuts because that’s all I had left so I used them up. Then I put enough honey and syrup in to hold everything together, probably 1 part syrup to 3 parts honey. It wasn't really holding together, so I added some water, in the hopes that that would cook the oats and hold. I mixed it all well and pressed it into my 9" x 9" dish and popped it in the oven till it looked done (when the top was golden brown). I didn't keep track but it was probably between 20-30 minutes, just keep an eye on it.
I wasn't too worried about it not turning out because then i could just eat it as regular granola/cereal.
When the top was golden, I took it out and let it cool for 10 minutes, then put it in the fridge overnight. In hindsight, I should have took it out of the dish before, because it was a little difficult getting it out the next morning.
They tasted great and were a little crunchy on the top, and chewy on the bottom, best of both worlds.
Thursday, June 21, 2012
I recently found a recipe from Vanilla & Lace for salt water taffy and since I had all the ingredients, I had to try it.
I had to guess with the temperature of the sugar, since I only had a meat thermometer that went up to 190 F and I needed the sugar to be between 256- 266. I just boiled everything until it started to get thick.
I only made half the recipe, and made two different flavours from it. I used pure vanilla extract (with green food colouring) and almond extract (with green colouring).
The first time I boiled the sugar, it didn't get to temperature, so I reheated both flavours separately.
The first one I made was the green almond, and I almost brunt it!.
This made the sugar harder to work with because it was tough and stayed very hot when I pulled it.
When it got too tough to pull, I out it in the microwave for 10 sec and that softened it perfectly, but it still had to be very hot. This flavour ended up being a hard candy.
The second round with the blue vanilla worked out better because I didn’t let it get too hot, so it was wayyyy easier to work with and made a more chewable candy (and I only had to microwave it a few times).
I hope you too try out making some candy, stock up for birthdays or weddings this summer!